Events & Shows06 Nov 2018
New Fico Molding Line - wafer molding
Transfer molding advantages
Compared to compression molding, transfer molding offers several advantages. Most importantly, it allows molding while keeping the dies exposed. With compression molding this is simply not possible due to the concept of dispensing the compound either on top of the dies or by dipping the dies updside down into the compound. Since transfer molding makes use of a cull, there is no need for accurate compound weight control. Transfer molding ensures an accurate package pressure in combination with accurate package height control.
With transfer molding backgrinding is not needed to expose the dies and it also does not use expensive liquid compounds. This results in significant cost reduction.
The new Fico Molding Line has a modular stucture. All molding processes developed on the manual system can directly be copied onto the automatic system (to be released next year). The complete structure, interface and recipe handling, as well as process monitoring, is the same for both the manual and the automatic system.
In the Netherlands systems for sample building (also under clean room conditions) are available. Please contact Product Manager Molding, Niels de Jong (email@example.com) for more details.
Fico Molding Line system configuration
- Easy, step by step instruction for manual loading of wafers.
- Clamp force up to 120 tons (1200 kN).
- Transfer pressure up to 12 MPa (1200 bar).
- Deep vacuum levels, as low as 10 hPa abs.
- Active clamp force level control to prevent bleed on exposed dies.
- Molded samples consist of MUF, eMUF, C2W and eWLB.
- Wafer thickness from 600 to 1200 µm (in one mold configuration).
- Mold cap thickness from 120 to 900 µm (in one mold configuration).
- Foil thickness 42 - 200 µm (depending on the configuration).
During this joint cooperation, the molding process for both overmolded and exposed die wafer molding has been investigated. It has resulted in excellent final product quality, where in almost all fields we excel the compression molding technique. The combination of process parameters, very accurate transfer pressure control and active clamp level control results in a very even mold cap thickness and excellent bleed protection on exposed dies. The FML can run with deep vacuum levels (preventing voids) and has a leveled clamp force control (control clamp force on the wafer edge) as well as high transfer pressure levels.