Meco CPL: More Power Out of Your Cell at a Lower Cost! The Meco CPL is based on the robust and proven concept of the Meco EPL which has, with more than 350 machines installed worldwide, built a reputation in the semiconductor world for leadframe plating applications.
- Vertical product handling
- Low drag-out of plating chemicals
- Compact machine design/easy to maintain
- Inline plating process/high up time
- Efficiency improvement: 0.3 - 0.5 % (abs.) with seed-and-plate
- Proven machine concept (> 350 machines in semiconductor industry)
- Ideal platform for plating of Interdigitated Back Contact (IBC) cells where a thick Cu-Sn layer is plated on the rearside electrode
- Ideal platform for plating of HITcells as Cu plating drastically reduces the high metallization costs associated with heterojunction cells
- Plating on frontside and backside at the same time for metallization (plating) of bi-facial cells such as HIT cells
- Plating of n-type cells
- Process start-up by Meco
A vast majority of Si cells is produced by screen printing silver paste onto the front side of the wafer. To form electrical contact with the cell emitter a firing step is done afterwards. This is a well established production method within the PV industry although there are areas for further improvement. Typically screen printed contact fingers are printed 90-100 micron wide to obtain sufficient electrical conductance. To further increase the cell efficiency the contact finger width can be reduced as the active area of the cell increases (less shading). However, cell efficiency improvement is limited as the poor aspect ratio of screen printed contact fingers leads to an increase of the contact finger resistance value at the same time.
Meco offers a real solution for cell efficiency improvement: the process starts on a narrow and thin seed layer of Ag paste where the electrical conductance of the contact finger is further enhanced by electroplating either Ag or Ni-Cu-Sn onto it. This gives a narrow contact finger while the resistance value is also improved at the same time. With the CPL, an overall absolute cell efficiency improvement of 0.3 - 0.5% can be obtained and also expensive Ag paste can be saved as only a narrow and thin seed layer is required. Therefore with the CPL an RoI of < 1 year can be achieved! The total CPL throughput is 1,500 to 3,000 cells/hour.
- Cell size: 5 x 5", 6 x 6"
- Cell type: mono-c, multi-c
- Cell technology: p-type, n-type, bifacial, MWT, Back Contact (IBC), HIT cells
- Metal options: Ag, Ni-Cu-Sn, Cu-Sn (for IBC)
- Plating thickness (typical) Ag: 5-7 um , Ni : 1 um , Cu : 8 um , Sn : 2-3 um
- Throughput: 1,500 - 3,000 UPH (pilot line: 100 - 500 UPH)
- Production capacity 50 - 100 MW/year
Besi Netherlands B.V.
Tel: +31 26 319 6100
Besi Switzerland AG
Tel: +41 41 749 5111
Besi Austria GmbH
Tel: +43 5337 6000
Meco Equipment Engineers B.V.
Tel: +31 416 384 384